The city began to considerably flourish under the reign of Ali Pasha of Tepelena who rebuilt the fortress and erected huge underground stores that served as air-raid shelters in the First and Second World War.
A short time later the First World War broke out and at the end of 1914 Greek forces again invaded the city.
One year later the city was recaptured by Greek troops and ruled by Greece till the army was forced by the German invasion to give the city to Italy.
It was again returned to the Albanian control in 1944.
The road is in a very good condition but it goes through the mountains.
Gjirokastër / Gjirokastra / Αργυρόκαστρο is situated in the valley of the River Drino, in the northern part of Albania.
The legend says that the city was founded by the Greek Princess Argjiro and took its name of her.However, it must have been only a legend.500 years of the Ottoman rule has exerted a large impact on the city.This is why Gjirokastër is a rare example of a well-preserved Ottoman town built by land owners. Everyone who visited Albania or is planning to go there soon is kindly invited to contribute to this guide.Any inquires regarding this matter should be referred to the editor's address [email protected] At that time this area was part of the Byzantine Empire and was called – Αργυρόπολις, (from Greek), which means ‘Silver City’ or Αργυρόκαστρον, this is, ‘Silver Castle’.The present name of the city comes from this Greek expression.In 1914 the city was taken by Turkish army and fell under Ottoman Empire Rule for a long time.